Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Good Way to Be Alive for the Future

Anne Lamott in her book, Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith, gives this description of a frustrating, then redeeming encounter with her son, Sam:

He sat down in the dirt, and we talked in a stilted, unhappy way. I practiced being right for a while and he was sullen; then I practiced being kind. Things improved a bit. My friend, Mark, who works with church youth groups, reminded me recently that Sam doesn't need me to correct his feelings. He needs me to listen, to be clear and fair and parental. But most of all he needs me to be alive in a way that makes him feel he will be able to bear adulthood, because he is terrified of death, and that includes growing up to be one of the stressed-out, gray-faced adults he sees rushing around him.

I remember great advice for exploring vocations around the time I was graduating from college. I was encouraged to look at the people who were deemed to have "made it" in my potential profession and then decide whether I liked them or not. The ability, not to predict or control the future, but anticipate it and dream about our place in it is a wonderful and troubling aspect of being human. We remember the past, experience the present and anticipate the future. We act today, either consciously or unconsciously, based on what we think of the future--the expectation, hope or anticipation of what the coming days/weeks/years may hold.

Our anticipation of the future is not only for what may happen, but who we will be. In the Good Sense Budget Course I am currently teaching, a primary consideration for how we handle money is who we are and who we are becoming as followers of Jesus Christ. I appreciate Lamott's affirmation that we are to be alive in a way that helps others, especially younger generations, feel that they will be able to grow into the future.

In a recent sermon on saving money and resources, I commented that there are three futures into which White Pines United Methodist Church is living. The closest future is reaching self-sufficiency as a congregation. We will celebrate our third anniversary this July. We have come this far by faith; joyful, creative and exhausting work; and the substantial assistance of our parent church (Rockford United Methodist Church) and the West Michigan Annual Conference.

It is exciting to walk together through growing seasons of love, spiritual development, financial giving and service. The Lenten sermon series on John Wesley's sermon, "The Use of Money," (Gain all you can, Save all you can, and Give all you can), the current Good Sense Budget Course small group and our upcoming Consecration Sunday on April 29th all contribute to the importance of growing to financial self-sufficiency. The Shamrock Cookie Bake, our booth at the Rockford Community Expo, serving at the Children's Tent at the Rockford Start of Summer Festival (June 8-10), White Pines Music Fest (July 15), and the Children's Music and Drama Camp (July 23-26; July 30-August 2) are all evangelism contributions to the growth to self-sufficiency.

The second future is a bit further out. It was expressed by the New Church Establishment Committee of the West Michigan Annual Conference years before any of us were involved in the process. When initial plans were being made, there was a feeling that the south Rockford area could sustain a new United Methodist congregation of more than 500 worshiping members. It was also felt that this community would be receptive to traditional Wesleyan theological affirmations of the constant presence of God's grace, and the Christian life as faith and love put into practice.

The third future is all encompassing in the Kingdom of God. Our ultimate future belongs to God and is given to us through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Rev. Brad Kalajainen, Lead Pastor at Cornerstone United Methodist Church, encourages us to always keep an eye on eternity. Be aware of the unfolding plans of God. There are few more beautiful words than those found in the Old Testament Book of Jeremiah:

"For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for me in earnest, you will find me when you seek me. I will be found by you," says the LORD. "I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes. I will gather you out of the nations where I sent you and bring you home again to your own land" (Jeremiah 29:11-14)

This New Church business certainly requires us to pray and seek the Lord. It also requires us, I feel, to act on the confidence that God is at work within us, giving us a future and a hope, and the desire to do what pleases God (Philippians 2:13). Living in these ways can be very appealing to those persons wondering if life with God is worth the risk or if they will be able to bear a life of following Jesus Christ.

I praise God for the witnesses to this Good News who live and grow in the congregation called White Pines United Methodist Church.

Pastor Jeff

No comments: