Monday, October 05, 2015

Wisdom, Wonder and a Year of Learning


(Written for the September-October 2015 Wayland UMC ARK newsletter)

Praise the source of faith and learning that has sparked and stoked the mind
With a passion for discerning how the world has been designed.
Let the sense of wonder flowing from the wonders we survey
Keep our faith forever growing and renew our need to pray.
(The Faith We Sing #2004)

“Wisdom begins in wonder” (Socrates)

Good morning and God bless you. With this edition we enter the new school and ministry year. Children’s Sunday School will take a new shape this fall beginning September 27 after worship with an intergenerational learning format. Stay tuned for more details. Adult Sunday School continues after worship each week. Boy Scout Troop 97 (Monday 7-8:30 pm) and Scout Venturing Crew 2097 (Sunday 6-8 pm) resume their weekly meetings here at Church. We are working on possibilities for middle high ministry as well.

I am the son and brother of educators. Beverly and I are also first-time grandparents. Braxton Kai Sherd was born August 18th to our daughter, Lindsey, and son-in-law, Callan, in Lincoln, Nebraska. I look forward to all we will learn with him. Education is a strong and clear generational value for us, and I am so thankful. Being a disciple of Jesus Christ involves a life of love and learning. This affirmation is found in many places.

• Moses told the people of Israel before they entered the Promised Land: “These are all the commands, laws, and regulations that the LORD your God told me to teach you so you may obey them in the land you are about to enter and occupy, and so you and your children and grandchildren might fear the LORD your God as long as you live” (Deuteronomy 6:1-2).

• After washing their feet, he put on his robe again and sat down and asked, “Do you understand what I was doing? You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and you are right, because it is true. And since I, the Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you…That is the path of blessing (John 13:12-17). I like the way one of our teachers concludes her email messages, “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand ~ Confucius”.

We thank God for the students, educators, staff, administrators and Board members in our schools and on our campuses. Our West Michigan Conference supports five campus ministries (Central Michigan, Ferris State, Grand Valley, Michigan State and Western) and two United Methodist-related colleges (Adrian and Albion). The Church takes education seriously and I am so thankful.

So, what do you want to learn this year about God? The Bible? Faith? Discipleship? I look forward to our conversations and what we will learn together.

No comments: